Dinner recipes, dessert recipes, and many more recipes can be found right here for all you food lovers!

November 9, 2010

Chocolate Orange Loaf Cake

                                                                               *

1 1/4 sticks (10 Tbsp.) unsalted butter, softened
2 TBSP golden syrup (such as Lyle's) or dark corn syrup
1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
3 TBSP unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
2 eggs
Zest of 2 small oranges (1 TBSP) and juice of 1 small orange (3 TBSP)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a 9×5×3-inch loaf pan with parchment paper. Grease sides of pan or line with a paper loaf-pan liner.
In large bowl, with electric mixer beat the butter, syrup (brush a little oil on your tablespoon measure before measuring the syrup to help remove it from spoon), and sugar until fairly smooth.
In a separate bowl combine; flour, baking soda, and cocoa powder. Beat 1 tablespoon of the dry ingredients into the syrup mixture, then beat in one egg. Add another couple of spoonfuls of dry ingredients before beating in the remaining egg.
Beat in remaining dry ingredients, and then add, while still beating, the orange zest. Gradually add the juice. The batter may look slightly curdled.
Pour batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 45 minutes (edges should look dry and center of cake may have dipped slightly). Cool in pan on wire rack. Carefully remove from pan and cool completely.
 __________________________________________________________________________________

*****PLEASE READ***** (BEFORE you make this recipe)
My Chocolate Orange Loaf did not turn out as pictured above. Please bake this recipe at your own risk.
This is what mine looked like: 

This is what I know happened:

As I was cooking the loaf it started rising above the edge of the pan. I wasn't too worried about it because I thought it would still bake ok. Next time I checked on it, it had overflowed the pan and large chunks were now baking on the bottom of my oven. I let it go a little longer until I realized the chunks on the bottom were really burning, and I wanted to avoid the whole smoke-coming-out-of-the-oven-because-the-food-is-on-fire scenario. SO I opened the oven, watched my loaf cake drastically deflate, and scooped out the burning piles on the bottom. After 45 minutes it was still extremely wet and undercooked, so I left it in for 10 more min. And you can see what I ended up with. I picked the burned parts off and as I tried to take it out of the pan it fell apart, hence the bowl. At least it still tasted good.

Now, on to the possibilities of what may have gone wrong: 

I may have put the wrong amount of baking soda in?
I used light brown sugar rather than dark brown sugar?
I should not have (over) mixed it in the Bosch and just used a hand mixer as suggested?
I should not have let the entire prepared batter stand while I zested and juiced the orange?
I haven't the heck of an idea what really went wrong?

So, if you decided to make this (and please do, since I won't be trying again anytime soon, and I'd like to know how to make it correctly):

Try doing the opposite of the things that I listed as possible wrongness. And good luck! And comment with your results! (Thank you!)

4 comments:

Kari said...

I dunno. I assumed after reading that you either overfilled the pan OR when you opened the oven it deflated and couldn't recover. Like a souffle. OR you let all the heat out, but I've done that and cakes have recovered.

Kari said...

Okay, I've reread it and first, you would taste the baking soda (nasty bitter taste) if you over did it. The brown sugar wouldn't matter. Maybe the mixing, but I think my first guess maybe right. A combination of filling it too full and opening the oven. Hope this helps.

Heidi said...

Kari, thanks for your comments!

Supposedly I had the "right" pan size, but I guess it could have been too full.

So do you think that even if it had risen that much (and fit in the pan) that it would have turned out normal if I hadn't opened the oven and deflated it?

I wish I didn't have to save my oven from burning chunks on the bottom, it probably would have turned out much better, lol.

Kari said...

I'm not an expert at this, but I would definitely try and experiement with this. Only fill it half way. Then don't open the oven. If it doesn't overflow and so you don't open the oven and it turns out then I'm right. If you try it and it doesn't overflow and it still doesn't cook well than it's something else.

I have a cornbread recipe that when I double it will SOMETIMES burn on top because I leave it in the oven longer. isn't baked enough. I think it has something to do with the pan and doubling it. I'm still trying to figure it out. But another suggestion could be to try a glass baking dish?